Start, stop, or move service
Customers who have an existing Online Customer Account are able to request stop, start, and move services online. For customers who do not have an Online Customer Account, please contact us for assistance.
- To start service, please allow 2 business days to process your request. A service establishment charge of $20 is required to start or reconnect electric service to any customer. There is an additional charge of $25 for same-day service requests.
- To stop service, you may notify the company up to 30 days in advance to request that your service be disconnected. If notification is not received, the disconnection date will be effective the date the company receives your phone call or online request.
- If you are moving, please call us at least 2 days before moving so we can read your meter and give you an accurate closing bill.
- Please contact us if you need assistance.
Disconnection of service
- Your bill payment should be received by the "Date Due" indicated on your bill. A late payment charge of 1% is applied to any unpaid balance at the time of the next billing.
- If you are unable to pay your bill, please contact us immediately. We'll try to work out a payment schedule with you.
- In those cases when we must terminate electric service because of unpaid electric bills, Hawaiian Electric will send you a termination notice with a deadline for payment. If we do not receive payment by the deadline, electric service may be discontinued without further notice.
- Important things you should know:
- A returned check charge of $22.00 shows up on your bill whenever payment for any electric company service is rejected by the financial institution.
- A field collection charge of $20 will be assessed for a field call to a customer's location to collect an unpaid bill.
- A service establishment charge of $20 is required to start or reconnect electric service to any customer. There is an additional charge of $25 for same-day service requests.
- A field collection charge of $45 will be assessed for a field call to a customer's location to reconnect electric service.
Life Support & Emergency Equipment
Let us know if you or anyone living in your home is dependent on life support or emergency equipment so that we can address this for planned maintenance outages. However, because unplanned outages can and do occur, it is important for customers on life support to make alternate plans should the power go out at their homes.
BILL PAYMENT PROBLEMS
If you have problems paying your bill, call us at 548-7311 as soon as possible to make payment arrangements before your bill becomes past due.
PAYMENT PROTECTION INSURANCE
Payment Protection insurance can help you pay your electric bill if you lose your income due to an unpaid leave of absence, job loss or total disability. To sign up or obtain more information, please call