At Hawaiian Electric, Maui Electric and Hawaii Electric Light Company, our roots in these islands run deep and our commitment to the future is strong.
Our logo’s key elements symbolize our company’s rich history, including the legacy of King David Kalakaua, who brought electricity to Hawaii’s people and whose royal charter formed the Hawaiian Electric Company. This new logo signifies our companies’ renewed commitment to one another, our customers and our communities. Learn More.
History and Timeline
Inspired by the Vision of a King
Hawaiian Electric Company and its subsidiaries provide electricity and services to 95 percent of the state's 1.4 million residents. The company is also one of the state's leading employers and a major contributor and supporter of community and educational programs.
The demand for power that has fueled the growth of the Hawaiian Islands has been met by Hawaiian Electric for well over a century. And as the next millennium unfolds, the company is committed to providing quality service and seeking clean local energy sources to power generations of Hawaii families and businesses to come.
Hawaiian Electric becomes a subsidiary of Hawaiian Electric Industries in 1983.
Hawaiian Electric makes a historic decision to purchase power from independent energy suppliers, 1987.
Signed contract with Kalaeloa Partners to build and operate a 180-megawatt combined cycle plant at Campbell Industrial Park, 1988.
Hawaiian Electric contracts with three independent power producers - the Honolulu Program of Waste Energy Recovery (H-Power), Kalaeloa Partners L.P., and Applied Energy Services, Barbers Point, Inc. (AES), 1989.
In 2006, Hawaiian Electric celebrated the 10th year anniversary of the Energy$olutions program with the installation of its 30,000th solar water heating system. The program paid over $62 million in rebates to homes and businesses that have installed energy efficient equipment which translates to a savings of more than 586 million kilowatthours per year or 970,000 barrels of oil.
In 2008, Hawaiian Electric Companies and the State of Hawaii signed a comprehensive agreement as part of the Hawaii Clean Energy Initiative. The initiative's goal for the State of Hawaii to meet 70 percent of its electricity and ground transportation needs from clean energy sources, including renewable energy and energy efficiency by 2030.
Hawaiian Electric's 110-megawatt Campbell Industrial Park Generating Station, fueled by renewable biodiesel procured from sustainable sources, comes on line in 2009.
Decoupling approved by the PUC removes the link between utility revenues and electricity usage, 2010.
CT-1 Biodiesel power plant, 110 MW generation station, will help create local market for biofuel production in Hawaii, 2010.
Feed-In Tariff offers standard rates, contract terms and specifications for renewable energy developers, 2010.
First Wind's 30 MW wind farm in Kahuku went into operation in early 2011.
Hawaiian Electric and Maui Electric Company are honored for Solar Energy Adoption by the Solar Electric Power Association in 2012.
In 2012, critical investments to upgrade and modernize electrical systems include replacing 210,000 feet of underground power cable on Oahu (up from 97,000 in 2011), 1300 utility poles (1000 in 2011) and 24 transmission structures (one in 2011).
Compared to 2008, when we first set our new clean energy targets, we have eliminated the annual use of 500,000 barrels of oil in our system, the equivalent of $69 million in 2012.
In 2012, Going Solar, online solar resource center, was launched to provide customers information on choosing a contractor, financing, siting, and sizing photovoltaic and more.
Also in 2012, added a photovoltaic system at our 120 megawatt biofueled generation station at Campbell Industrial Park to help power the facility and run two electric vehicle chargers.